Stay Connected

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friends

Grab A Button

Photobucket

Search This Blog

Blog Lovin'

Easy Blog Tips!
TCBOTB
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tray Time

First I want to tell yall that I am SO EXCITED for my puppy Oreo to be the Daily Fluffy today over at Pretty Fluffy.  A BIG shout out to Serena for having such an amazing pet blog.  You can check here out here.  Make sure to stop by and check out her awesome-ness!

On to today's project!  This is a project I did before I started blogging so I dont have any step by step pictures, but I do have a tutorial I can link up for you.  I saw this on Pinterest when I first got addicted many months ago.  Turns out the project was a Martha Stewart project and you can find the link here.  I had leftover fabric from when I made curtains (you can see that post here) and I had a ton of black felt left over from when I made my pin display cases (you can see that post here).  I had spray adhesive from when I painted a room with a stencil (no post of that it has since been painted over and such a shame too it was awesome) so all I needed was the vinyl and the cookie sheet.


I am going to pass some wisdom on to you right now...DO NOT get a tray that has a non-stick surface.  I didnt even think of that when I was buying a tray I was just thinking of price.  Let me tell you it made it almost impossible to get the fabric to stay, so be careful with your choice.  Of course if you have an old ratty tray that you just want to cover thats cool too, free is free right!  I also needed to get the vinyl but I had NO CLUE where to get that from so I went to JoAnn's and bought 1 yard of the clear plastic material, like the stuff you put over tables...not a good description I know but it came on one of the big rolls as was $4/yard.  Not exactly true to the Martha version but I had to improvise people!

The below picture is a shot of the front of the sheet.  I personally think covering the whole thing in the clear plastic was a better idea in case you spill something you wont mess up the fabric because its covered all around.  
 To get this look make sure you cut out enough fabric to tuck under at the bottom.  Try and cut straight lines to make for a better fold.  Spray the tray and place the fabric on top then press down, smoothing out all the edges, making sure there are no bumps.  Let that dry for about 30 minutes then move on to the vinyl.  This was a little harder and we ended up hot gluing the vinyl to the fabric, but if you have fabric glue that will probably work too.  Make sure the vinyl is the same size as your fabric so you have complete coverage.  Once you get that all glued down you can flip the tray over and do the bottom.

This shot is of the bottom.  Since you cant see the bottom ever I dont feel bad that it looks a hot mess...trust me in person this doenst look pretty.
Try and glue all the extra fabric to the bottom of the tray before applying the felt.  Use whatever glue you want to do this since you wont be able to see it.  The black felt also covers a host of imperfections, use that to your advantage.  Our corners were a mess so the felt comes up a little to cover that.  Once you have that glued down, flip the tray back over and you are done!  Easy right!  Total cost for mine was $10, thats $5 for the tray and $5 for the vinyl.  Much better than the awful placemat I had there to begin with (I photoshopped this picture so you cant see but there is a huge wood mess in the middle of the table from where my nail polish spill removed the top layer from the table, obviously its not real wood lol)

So there you have it, a project that takes less than an hour and bring color and life to your space.

Project Housewife Out!

Im Linking Up!  Come check me out at Ginger Snap Crafts, Southern Lovely, My Girlish Whims, Lil Pink Pocket, Beyond the Picket Fence, DIY by Design, While he was Napping, Serenity Now, Petals to Picots, Bacon Time, Hope in Every Season

4 comments:

  1. You really did a great job. I found you via Ginger Snap Crafts and I am your latest follower. I would love for you to stop by and join in my party that is going on right now. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that shade of green, plus the design, and I would have never guessed it was a cookie sheet! The Dollar Tree carries cookie sheets that are only a dollar and they are not no-stick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT! I wish I had know that then! Thanks for the tip Ill have to remember that for the next tray I make.

    ReplyDelete