Stay Connected

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friends

Grab A Button

Photobucket

Search This Blog

Blog Lovin'

Easy Blog Tips!
TCBOTB
Powered by Blogger.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Foodie Friday

Happy Friday yall!  Im so excited for this weekend because Im going to the Houston Rodeo and we are FINALLY going to see Alan Jackson!  So psyched!  Even better its going to be a nice weekend (unlike last weekend when it was a non stop rain) so we will get to see all the rodeo has to offer yay!  I have to say being from Texas...and Houston on top of that I think we have the best rodeo but I have come to realize while our rodeo lasts 4 weeks its not the biggest.  Shocking I know!  The largest Rodeo is actually in Las Vegas but thats only because its the finals.  Each rodeo has their own finals but the rodeo in Las Vegas brings all the champions from the other states and they compete there.  The Las Vegas rodeo though is only 3 days but it sells out the entire city...I know I used to work there.  Crazy times...but while Vegas may be the ultimate finals...Texas has the best BBQ, the best concerts and the best people.  YEE-HAW!  Sorry I had to throw that in there.

Today's recipe has nothing to do with the rodeo or BBQ but really valentine's day.  I wanted to make these cookies for Valentine's day but it took me FOREVER to fine some of the emulsions the recipe called for.  I took 2 of them out (they were for the icing anyway) so it shoudnt be too hard to make this.  I have made Red Velvet drop cookies before but honestly I dont really like drop cookies they are messy and goopy.  I love cut-out cookies because of all the shapes you can make and this was that recipe.  When I ate these I dont know what I was expecting but they are really tasty but they do taste like a perfect mix between a cookie and a cake.  What that means is they are dry but soft at the same time and man if you dont have milk you will need some!  I enjoyed these cookies, they didnt take too long to make which is always a plus so I hope you enjoy them too!
Red Velvet Cookies
Servings: 3dzn      Prep Time: 10min       Cook Time: 6-7min            Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients

·         1 cup unsalted butter
·         2 cups confectioners sugar
·         1 egg
·         2 tsp vanilla bean paste {or extract, I love the paste it has a stronger flavor}
·         1 tbsp Lorann red velvet emulsion
·         2-3 tbsp milk
·         1/2 cup Hershey’s Cocoa powder
·         1/4 cup buttermilk powder
·         3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
·         2 tsp baking powder
·         1/2 tsp salt
·         splash {about 1/2 a tsp} apple cider vinegar

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400degrees
Cream together butter and confectioners sugar. Add the egg, vanilla, red velvet emulsion, and milk and mix well. Start with 2 tablespoons of milk, then add the rest if the dough is a little dry after adding the flour mixture. Sift together the cocoa, buttermilk powder, flour, baking powder and salt and add to the wet ingredients. As the dough begins to form add a splash of apple cider vinegar. The dough should be soft but not sticky.
After mixing, let it rest for five to ten minutes, then roll out on lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes and bake for 6-7 minutes.
Makes about 3 dozen 3 1/2 inch cookies

**Notes**
I tried using royal icing with butter vanilla emulsion but I think a cream cheese frosting would be better.  Royal icing gets hard which is great for storage but I think the cream cheese frosting would taste better.  I've never made a cream cheese cookie frosting before so I dont have a recipe for that but I have a royal icing recipe below if you want to do that.

Royal Icing
(A Bake at 350 blog recipe)
Servings: 2-3dzn          Prep Time: 10min        Cook Time:       Difficulty: Moderate

Ingredients
·         4 TBSP meringue powder   (I use wilton)
        1 lb powdered sugar         
        ½ - 1 tsp light corn syrup
·         Scant* 1/2 c. water             
       food coloring if desired
       1/2 tsp extract of your choice (I use vanilla normally)

Instructions
Combine the meringue powder and water. With the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, beat until combined and foamy.  Sift in the powdered sugar(I have skipped this and it was ok just not as smooth) and beat on low to combine.  Add in the corn syrup and extract if desired. (I think the corn syrup helps keep the icing shiny.)
Increase speed to med-high/high and beat for about 5 minutes, just until the icing is glossy and stiff peaks form.  (You should be able to remove the beater from the mixer and hold up and jiggle without the peak falling.) Do not overbeat.
Cover with plastic wrap touching the icing or divide and color using gel paste food colorings.
*A scant cup is a measuring cup not filled all the way up to the top.


If you do want to try a Cream Cheese Frosting I have one from Crazy for Crust that I havent tried but they make some amazing desserts over there so Im sure its great.

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
·         8oz cream cheese, softened
·         ½ c butter, softened
·         4c powdered sugar
·         1 tsp vanilla extract

   I Instructions
    Make the frosting: Using a hand mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Slowly add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth


   I hope you enjoyed this recipe today, and yay Im trying to take better pictures, I even broke out my wedding china for you guys!


    Project Housewife Out!


   Im Linking Up!  Come check me out at While He Was Napping, Serenity Now, Petals to Picots, Bacon Time, Addicted2Decorating, Six Sisters Stuff, Add A Pinch, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Tip Junkie, Crazy for Crust, Not Just a Housewife, Ginger Snap Crafts, Southern Lovely, My Girlish Whims, Lil Pink Pocket, Made Famous By, Beyond the Picket Fence, DIY by Design





3 comments:

  1. These cookies look so yummy!
    -Heather
    @ www.made-famous-by.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather thanks for stopping by, and they are super tasty!

      Delete
  2. These look to die for! I love frosted cookies.

    ReplyDelete