Stay Connected

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friends

Grab A Button

Photobucket

Search This Blog

Blog Lovin'

Easy Blog Tips!
TCBOTB
Powered by Blogger.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Foodie Friday

Im trying not to be lame but you know I have the Friday song running through my head right now but I will spare you since it seems to be my go-to opener on Fridays :)

Im sad to say this but I havent been crafty this week, this waking up early business is really throwing off my chi but I have been cooking and eating some pretty amazing food.  Ok by amazing I mean easy and if its quick and easy then it awesome by me.  However I have been craving berries this week so I'm going to share with you a trifle recipe that I made (not easy by the way) from the Food Network that is awesome and delicious and you wont want to stop eating.  Check it!


Lemon Curd Trifle with Fresh Berries
(A Food Network recipe)
Servings: 6       Prep Time: 30min    Cook Time: 10min    Chill:3hrs     Difficulty: Moderate


Ingredients
·         6 large egg yolks                                                  •1pint fresh blueberries
·         1 cup sugar                                                           •1pint fresh blackberries
·         4 lemons, zested and juiced                              •2c whipped cream
·         1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter in chunks    •1 prepared lemon cake, sliced
·         1 pint fresh strawberries, halved lengthwise • ¼ c limoncello or grand marnier (optional)
·         Fresh mint leaves, for garnish

Instructions
 
To make the lemon curd: Bring a pot of water to a simmer over medium-low heat. Combine the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, and zest in a metal or glass heat-resistant bowl and whisk until smooth. Set the bowl over the simmering water, without letting the bottom touch, and continue to whisk. Keep working-out that arm and whisk it vigorously for a good 10 minutes, until the curd has doubled in volume and is very thick and yellow. Don't let it boil. Remove the bowl from heat and whisk in the butter, a couple of chunks at a time, until melted. Refrigerate until the custard is cold and firm.

To build the trifle: put the berries in a mixing bowl and toss them together so they are evenly distributed. Fold the whipped cream into the chilled lemon curd to lighten it up into a mousse. Line a glass trifle bowl with pieces of pound cake to fit. Drizzle or brush the cake with the Limoncello, spoon a layer of the lemon curd over the cake, and then a layer of mixed berries. Repeat the layers until the ingredients are used up, the last layer looks best if it's the berries. Chill before serving. Garnish with fresh mint. 

This dessert is so tasty and so refeshing and not heavy at all.  The lemon curd was a little hard for me only because Ive never done anything fancy like that before and I was so proud of myself for it.  So go try it out and let me know what you think, I hope you love it just as much as I did!

8 comments:

  1. This is the perfect spring dessert, so light and fresh. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy!! I am featuring you at this week's I Love Fridays link party!! Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Can't wait to see what you link up this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious!! I gotta try it. I'd love for you to share this at my link party. It runs Tues-Sat. http://adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com/2012/03/terrific-tuesdays-5.html
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummmy! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete