Stay Connected

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friends

Grab A Button

Photobucket

Search This Blog

Blog Lovin'

Easy Blog Tips!
TCBOTB
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Quick Curtains

As you know from yesterday, I love my bathroom...finally.  I love the fresh green and white colors and the accents I added to the room.  One of those accents is the curtain.




Originally this window had blinds on them and I just dont think blinds belong in a bathroom.  So we frosted the window (frost film you can buy at lowes and slap on the window, takes 30minutes, seriously you should do this) and then I KNEW I needed to add a curtain or SOMETHING on this window, it was just so bare.  I found an article in "Decorating Shortcuts" (2011) on how to make this curtain and tried my hand at it.  So without further ado, here is how to make this lovely curtain.

Supplies:
  • Fabric (I used outdoor fabric because its thick and heavy, but you can use whatever you love most)
  • Fusible Hem tape ( I made the mistake of getting the ribbon hem tape not the kind that goes inbetween the seams, it works but is not as nice to look at)
  • Ribbon
  • Tension Rod
  • Embelishments (you cant really see them but I have crystal tassles hanging from the ribbon)
Instructions:
  1. Measure the inside of your window frame and add two inches to the width and three inches to the length.  I bought extra just in case I messed up a cut, but I always buy more fabric than I need, which is sometimes a good thing, I have used this fabric twice more from this curtain.
  2. Cut fabric to your measurements
  3. Fold each long side over 1/2 inch, then fold again another 1/2 inch (see why you need the extra inches, this makes for a much nicer hem in the back if you do it this way).  Press with an iron, insert hem tape in the fold and iron over again.
  4. Follow the same method for the bottom side but on the top side fold over 1/2 inch then 1 1/2 inches to make the flap for the tension rod.  Insert hem tape and iron.
  5. Insert the tension rod into the pcoket and hang.
  6. Cut two equal pieces of ribbon, about 1 1/2 times the length of your window.
  7. Accordian fold the bottom of the curtain to the desired length and tie the ribbons into a bow.  Note here, you will probably want help with this, I had a really hard time holding the curtain and tying the bow at the same time.  You may be more skillful than I, but holding the according fold just right and trying to tie a bow was frustrating the heck out of me.
  8. If you have embelishments you can add them now, I always like to wait until the end and add them, you can do whatever order you like but I prefer the end.

(Here is the side view of the curtain and a better view of the bathroom, more to come later on that)

Well that was easy right?!  I hope you had fun making a curtain, I cant wait to make more for my media room and laundry room!  Share yours here, I would love to see the awesome fabrics you find.


Im Linking Up!  at addapinch.com, come check me out



Project Housewife Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment