Stay Connected

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friends

Grab A Button

Photobucket

Search This Blog

Blog Lovin'

Easy Blog Tips!
TCBOTB
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ribbon Ribbon Everywhere

Continuing with the "I made this in the past" theme.  I made this a few weeks ago because I got bit by the Christmas craft bug HARD and I needed to let my creativity flow.  I saw this in a holiday food magazine of all places.  It looked really cute and easy to make so I went for it!


What you'll need:
  • foam cone (choose your size)
  • at least 7 different types of ribbon (your choise of color combinations)
  • straight pins (a pack of 100 should be plenty)
So these are really easy, what you need is a green foam cone, the kind you get from Hobby Lobby or Michael.  Get whatever size you want but mine was on the smaller side.  Depending on the size of your cone will depend on how much ribbon you will need, but for the 2 trees I used 1 spool of each ribbon color.  A tip on this, wired ribbon doesnt work as well, you can use it of course (especially if you find an awesome pattern) it just wont lay the same as you can kinda see here I used wire ribbon on the bottom layer.  So I have 7 layers and to be honest i eye-ball most of my measurements, but these are roughly 5 inches for each strand for each layer.  For you though, each layer you want to get progressively shorter, which I didnt do because honestly I forgot.  It will also help to have all the ribbon to be the same width, the fatter the ribbon the wider the space between loops and the easier it is to see the cone underneath, so the medium size is the best.  Stay away from the super skinny ribbon it doesnt do well at all and you have to use twice as much.  If you are dying to use it then go ahead, but dont say I didnt warn you :)

Now that you have all your supplies you are ready to start pinning.   I cut each level one at a time just to make sure everything worked out right.  So start at the bottom and work your way up.  Take the ribbon piece and fold in half, pin each corner of the ribbon into the cone and work your way around the bottom layer.  Then start on the next layer, keep going until you reach the top.  To have a more finished look I ran a ribbon around the top to hide all the pins and sealed in place with a hot glue gun.  Be careful to not burn your fingers!!  To add a little extra fancy I made a loop out of a ribbon of choice and hot glued to the top of the cone (this will also hide the remaining cone that is visable).  You can always top it with something a little more cute like a star or an angel, but we use what we have right!

I hope you dont pin the crap out of your fingers like I did mine, but I think that may be inevitable.  If you have some cool looking ribbon trees please share them here I would love to see what you created!

Project Housewife Out!


No comments:

Post a Comment