Stay Connected

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friends

Grab A Button

Photobucket

Search This Blog

Blog Lovin'

Easy Blog Tips!
TCBOTB
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Go Your Own Way

As promised the sign is done!  As a reminder from where we started check out my original pin from pinterest


Im so sorry I dont know where this originally came from, I cant find the original source but I had to share the picture.

Since its been so long since the first post on the idea, Ill just make this a big post with all the details!  To start with I downloaded fonts that I though best reflected the place that I was going to mark.  Thanks for www.1001freefonts.com for all the great fonts that we used.
If you would like to use the names I did click here.  I printed the names out and had those ready for when the signs were ready to be marked.



Now what is a sign without a good post?!  Since the drought was so bad here last year my mom had a lot of fallen trees on her property, and we scored and awesome trunk from her.



Good post right?!  Not that we have the post, we need the arrows.  I didnt need them to be all fancy but Joe decided to make them look like arrows which is fine with me they were cute.  It wasnt that hard to make these all you need is a 2x4 or pallet wood or whatever you have laying around.  You can break the wood piece to have an angle that points or you can use a compound saw and cut angles that you want for an arrow, just do whatever you think is best for your sign here.



After you cut all your signs out now you are ready to burn/paint the words onto the signs.  We had a soldering gun that had a wood burning attachement.  Thankfully Joe is a great artist and drew the words onto the wood pretty much just like they were on the paper.  You can do whatever works best for you, I thought of buring over the paper or using an excto knife to cut into the wood and burn over that in case Joe couldnt draw them, but seeing as he could I never had to test those theories.  Honestly it was really time consuming to do all the burning and thats what it took so long to get this done, but it was well worth it since I think it will last the longest.  After you get all the arrows done now you can attach them to your post, and thats the fastest part.  If you use a nail gun it will be even easier.
If you put them on at funky angles that gives it an older cooler feel too.  But if you are more meticulous then of course you can make them perfect, its your sign make it fit you!  Now that all the arrows are on plant it in the ground.  If you have a hole digger you can use it or a shovel, but the hole digger makes it a litter easier to dig a hole.  Make sure the hole is about 2 feet deep so that the post is sturdy in the ground.  When the hole is dug stick the post in, re plant the soil and pack it tighthy.  Once thats done YOUR done!  Step back and admire your awesome job on an awesome sign!

What a fun way to make a fun statement in your yard.  We ended up putting ours in the back yard so as not to start any trouble with the HOA, they stress me out.  So what do you think?  All that work, was it worth it?  I sure do think so!

Project Housewife Out!

Im Linking Up!  Come check me out at Positively Splendid, Add a Pinch, Flour me with Love, Tip Junkie,Not Just a Housewife, Romance on a Dime, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Newlyweds on a Dime,Southern Lovely, DIY by Design, Lil Pink Pocket, Made Famous By, My Girlish Whims, Ginger Snap Crafts, Beyond the Picket fence, House of Hepworths, Michelle's Tasty Creations, Petals to Picots, Joy in the Jumble, Bacon Time, Create Craft Love, Addicted 2 Decorating,


11 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! I will be doing our own version for our Community Garden Plot this fall! We need a touch of whimsey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Its so much fun seeing that sign every morning your community will love having one!

      Delete
  2. This is soooo cute! I want one! Such a great idea. Thanks for sharing!
    Rebecca @ heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of anything cuter I want in my garden!! I'm so going to have to do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! This is the cutest sign and all my Favorite places! Thanks again for linking up to Creative Thursday this week.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! So much fun! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

    Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so cute and clever. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute idea! Thanks for sharing at my party! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! So whimsical! Definitely want one in my garden. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - looks really good, especially with the wood burning to get the letters! Nice job. I have some pallets in my basement that I want to do something with, but I probably don't have the right tools to cut the wood with - what did you use?

    Thanks for linking up at Romance on a Dime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used a compound saw to make the fancy cuts but you can use a jigsaw or you can just break them for a more "rustic" look. I think the rougher the better my husband just got fancy with the cuts :)

      Delete