Stay Connected

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friends

Grab A Button

Photobucket

Search This Blog

Blog Lovin'

Easy Blog Tips!
TCBOTB
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Custom Nightstand

Oh how I miss cable for 1 reason only...HGTV.  David Bromstad and Color Splash I miss you dearly.  You provided me with countless inspiration for so many rooms in my house, but I would love a homemake over from you for free if you can make that happen that woud be great :)

So today's project was a direct inspiration from a Color Splash episode where honestly I didnt really like the room but I LOVED the nightstands he did.  Mine are a modified version of what he did but still I love them.  Here is a picture to give you an idea of what is in store.



Yes I know I need to work on my photography, but I just got a camera and am still learning with it so bear with me.  Ok so this night stand is SUPER easy, its just a four-sided box with a top.  The bottom I left open because I really didnt need a bottom.  What you need for this project is:
  • 1 sheet of plywood 1/2 inch thick
  • white glossy paint
  • wood primer paint
  • sander/sand paper (medium and fine)
  • table saw
  • jig saw
  • wood putty
  • caulk
  • pattern for your choice.
  • nail gun
Ok once you have all your supplies you are ready to cut.  The sides are 24 1/2 inches tall and 15 1/2 inches wide.  Cut 4 pieces of plywood to that measurement.  For the top piece it needs to  be 15 1/2 x 15 1/2.  My night stand is a perfect box but my husband wanted a lip on his so you can make some modifications to the top to make what you want of it.  Personally I like the box look but he likes his better so whatever you like works. 

Once you have all your pieces together now comes the fun part...tracing your pattern onto the wood.  I put my pattern on the front and top of the night stand but you can do as little or as much as you want.  David Bromstad's version had an open front (so no plywood piece there) and the carving was on both sides but not the top.  I think having it on the top shows more of the design when its lit up, but thats just my opinion.  My design you see there is a freehand design so I dont have a pattern to share with you but Im sure you can find some great ones on google.  This is the top.



Now that the pattern is on the wood you are ready to cut, thats what you need the jig saw for, since its not a straight line.  Be patient with this it does take some time but it is well worth the time it takes.  If you have never used a jig saw before, you may want to practice on a scrap piece of wood to get the hang of it first.




After you have cut the pattern out of all the pieces you want you can now nail all the pieces together.  Start by nailing all the sides together then once those are all together nail the top down.  After you have nailed everything down you need to caulk where the pieces of wood meet to make a smooth edge.  You dont have to do this step but it does look better if you do.  After caulking use the wood putty to fill all the holes in the wood, for example using a nail gun makes holes so putty where that hole is.  After you have caulked and puttied you are ready to sand.


Sanding is a very important step to make your nightstand smooth.  Also since you used a jig saw that can make rough edges and need to be sanded to have a nice finished look.  Use the medium sand paper for the first round of sanding then move to the fine for the next sanding steps.  You will want to sand at least twice before priming.  After you sand you can prime.  Let the primer dry and sand the night stand again.  You may  want to do this step a few times.  Priming brings all the pulp out of the wood and the more you sand the smoother it gets so use your judgement on how many times you should do this.  I recommend at least twice.  After you are happy with your priming and sanding you are ready to paint with glossy paint.  Really you can do any kind of paint but I love glossy for furniture it just looks better.  After you apply your coat of paint you are DONE!!

My finishing touches were the glass top so things dont fall thought the top of the nightstand and a light at the bottom so I can see my awesome designs on the walls at night.  Here is the light, I found this one at Lowes and it works great.


I love my nightstand, what do you think?!?

Project Housewife Out!

I linked up with While He was Napping come check it out!

I linked up with A Bowl Full of Lemons come check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment